Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Memories

I'm watching lydia's Italy right now and her grandmother is on. Lydia made gnocci with cinnamon sugar and smoked ricotta and the grandmother was so excited. she said seeing that dish brought her back 60 years to a similar dish she had.

I think food is all about memories like that. foods and smells always bring bAck memories, science proves it!! I live for the smell of a roast chicken because it always brings me back to my moms kitchen when I was little. I think I started to love cooking because I want to recreate those food memories.

I am trying to think of meals or dishes that I might remember in 60 years. I will always remember my first raw oysters and I will never be able to eat oysters without thinking of my former main man.

I will always remember the experience of eating borscht and blinis and smoked fishes in Russia. it was so comfortig to be in a foreign country and eat those foods that I had grown up with. it made me feel so Russian.

No comments:

Post a Comment